On 11/25/05, Maurice McAdam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello Marten,
>
>  On Thursday, November 24, 2005, 2:07:07 PM, which was 2:47:32 PM
> where I am, you wrote:

> AaA> The connection centre hangs on random accounts and the process
> AaA> cannot be aborted. The only waiy out being to kill TB service in
> AaA> the Task Manager.
>
> AaA> Was there ever a 'fix' whatever identified for this problem or
> AaA> did it just 'go away' with the next version?
>
> I have had to use Task Manager on a regular basis, since TB! would
> hang every time I downloaded. I have upgraded, downgraded and upgraded
> again. I am delighted to say that my current version (3.62.14) - so
> far, anyway - is doing extremely well.
> Don't know anything about 'template functionality' though.

I've been using TB since 2.x, and currently on 3.62.10.
This hanging connection center thing has been around
for a while...

I've narrowed this down to an issue with how TB handles
netwok connections (duh, right?). Using a VPN, I've been
able to reproduce these symptoms on demand. Because of
how the VPN works, I haven't been able to turn a packet
sniffer on it to see what is really happening. All I can tell
is that, for me, the hanging connection center will happen
if the network connection is in a transitory state: the vpn is
being setup or being torn down when TB hits the network.
This is a case where the network seems ok, but it really
isn't.

Knowing/Assuming this, my workaround is to ensure the
network connection is always solid through the use of proxies.
I have 1 pop account that goes through k9 and then a ssh
tunnel, and 1 pop and 1 imap through a proxy which then
hits the vpn. If the connection center ever hangs, I can
either stop the ssh tunnel or k9 to unwedge that account,
or I can restart my local proxy to unwedge those accounts.

I've been using this setup for about 3 or 4 months now,
and I haven't had to force quit TB. Whee....

--
WL