On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:32:28 +0000 GMT(28/12/2005, 18:32 +0000 GMT), Graham
Smith wrote:

6GS> Hello Eric,

GS> Wednesday, December 28, 2005, 6:28:00 PM, you wrote:

JP>>> I would agree however that "s" is more usual in UK
JP>>> English.

>> But the 'Oxford Spelling Dictionary' recommends the
>> spelling in -ize, as does the two volume 'Shorter Oxford
>> English Dictionary'.

GS> I don't have access to either, so I will have to accept
GS> what you say - astonishing as it is. Do they explain
GS> why?

No.  The dictionaries don't generally explain their choice
of spelling.

The /-ize/ spelling is often described as the 'Oxford z',
as it's the house style for the Oxford University Press. (I
think it is the older, more traditional spelling.)
Cambridge University Press, on the other hand, tends to
use the /-ise/ alternative.

--
Eric

Using The Bat! v3.0.1.33 on Windows XP
5.1 Build 2600
Service Pack 2

Eric                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]