Hello Stuart,

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 10:13:54 -0600 GMT (01/04/2006, 23:13 +0700 GMT),
Stuart Cuddy wrote:

TF>> The practical reason is that it allows me to create a Virtual Folder
TF>> in TB that shows the threads I am involved in (as long as everybody
TF>> uses an email client that threads properly, for example TB!).

SC> This is what I am interested in doing, except that I want to use it to
SC> color  message  threads  that  I  am  involved in.

Same difference. The point is that you can easily identify threads you
are involved in and apply any filter action you fancy. ;-)

SC> Currently my mid is pretty much the same for every person using
SC> MTS for there service provider in the province of Manitoba,
SC> Canada.

Which may not be many on this list, but hey.

SC> So the domain you are using is not real and just made up by you?

No, I actually own this FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name). I got it
for free under the condition that I only use it for message IDs, not
as domain for my email address or any URLs. Nobody else can ever use
it (legally), it's registered to me somewhere. (That's what the
friendly man who gave it to me said. Or at least what I understood.)

I use it on my usenet account, because people get really mad when you
post with a mid that has a domain like gmx.net or hotmail.com which
you cannot possibly own, especially in the German-speaking corner of
the usenet. That was the initial reason for me to get my own FQDN.

Now, I think it would be nice to use it on the TB lists for the
threading identification, as above. But it's ugly that I have to set
the Reply-To address in the Account Properties first and then override
that setting again somewhere else.

SC> And if someone wants to reply directly via PM this does not affect
SC> the message?

On this list, the Reply-To is overwritten by the list server anyway.
When you just reply to a message, the reply will be sent to the list.
If you want to reply to me by PM, you will have to C&P my address
manually anyway, or right-click on my address is the message viewer
and choose "Write to this address", so the reply-to header is
irrelevant.

So you write to me by PM, and I reply. Danger of setting the wrong
email address in the Reply-to header (by Account Properties). I have
the reply-to header shown in the editor window, so I need to visually
check, and I currently do that (if it gets too troublesome, I will go
back to the old solution). You are not in my addressbook, so the
Account-level Reply Template kicks in and deletes my reply-to address.
Everything is fine.

If you were in my AB, you should check to TO address when you reply to
my message. I have not updated the AB templates and rely purely on my
ability to remember to check the reply-to header before hitting "Put
in Outbox". Don't count on that ability for too long after the
novelty-aspect has worn out.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Ein Computerfreak wird die Zeit, die der Computer automatisch
arbeitet, dazu benutzen, ihm dabei unbewegt zuzusehen, um zu
beobachten, ob er richtig laeuft.