On Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 23:07:21, Chris wrote:

> You probably don't want to here this, but you hard drive may be bad.
> After you recover the messages, I'd back everything up and run
> something like SpinRite on the drive.

Err, SpinRite is a scam, don't use it.

What might work is the disk diagnostic tool offered by the disk manufacturer
- those can forcibly relocate bad sectors (you usually first have to run the
diagnostic, then if problems are found, those tools offer repair and
low-level format; repair will replace those problematic sectors, and while
you will loose data from them, the disk should work normally afterwards [you
usually wouldn't be able to access the files with bad sectors at all
anyway]).

These disk diagnostic tools are free, but they're tied to your disk brand -
if you have a Maxtor, tool from WD won't work on it. You need 1 floppy or 1
empty CD-R for them, since they have to be booted - you can't run them from
within Windows.

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://deepthought.ena.si/ >

The more an item costs, the farther you have to send it for repairs.
       -- Goodman's Law of Value