Hello Roelof,

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 12:25:27 +0200 GMT (06/08/2006, 17:25 +0700 GMT),
Roelof Otten wrote:

TF>> I'm still having some problems with my filtering system: When common
TF>> filters are triggered, account-level filters are ignored.

RO> Well, that makes sense, doesn't it?

This entirely depends on the coding. Common sense doesn't work.
Possible scenarios:

1.) Run the account filters first, then the common filters. (This
would be my preferred scenario.)

2.) Run the common filters first, then the account filters. (I thought
this were the case, but apparently not.)

3.) Run the common filters first, and only if "continue" is checked,
also run the account filters. (This seems to be the case.)

4.) Run the account filters first, and only if "continue" is checked,
also run the common filters. (This would cause problems at my setup.)

RO> After all when a message triggers an account filter it doesn't
RO> trigger any other filters either, unless the triggered filter has
RO> 'continue processing ...' enabled.

The account filters are not triggered.

TF>> I cannot add "Continue..." to all over 100 filters, because that would
TF>> slow mail-download and automatic sorting down to an unacceptable
TF>> level.

RO> Of course you couldn't. Not only would slow down automatic sorting,
RO> but if your sorting office is anything like mine, it would amount to
RO> random distribution as soon as you check every message against every
RO> filter.

Yes.

TF>> I wonder what the function "Add Block" does, and whether it would help
TF>> me.

RO> It combines a couple of conditions to one condition.
RO> Suppose you've got the following AB groups: 'twits', 'silly twits',
RO> 'very silly twits' and 'security risks'
RO> What you want to do is sorting all messages with attachments from any
RO> twit sender to a dedicated folder, unless the twit is mentioned as a
RO> security hazard.
RO> So you create a filter:
RO> Condition:
RO> Message has attachment
RO> and block
RO>    sender in 'twits'
RO>    or sender in 'silly twits'
RO>    or sender in 'very silly twits'
RO> end of block
RO> and not sender in 'security risks'
RO> Action:
RO> Move to folder 'Possible funny attachments'

RO> Without the block you'd need three filters for this or a filter with a
RO> sub-filter, but the latter would complicate the rest of your sorting.

Hm. This may be a solution. I would have the current account filters
be the main common filters (that's possible) and convert the current
common filters to a block. This should work, but I wonder how much
work it will be.

RO> Whether the add block function helps you with your problem I wouldn't
RO> know. But I don't think it very likely. IMO you should reconstruct
RO> your sorting office and when you've got filters that should precedence
RO> over all (or some) of your common filters you should place them
RO> between your common filters as well, even though they're only
RO> relevant for one account, you might even add a condition that they're
RO> only triggered when they came in via that special account. (Provided
RO> you can identify the receiving account from the headers.)

I can identify the account, because the people at X-Ray were kind
enough to provide me with a beta version that adds an X-Apparently-To
header to each mail before TB receives it.

Off to some testing! Will report back.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Wann wird denn endlich der Niagara-Fall geloest oder die Formel 1
ausgerechnet ??

Message reply created with The Bat! 3.81.14 Beta