Hello Tom!

On Thursday, September 07, 2006, 5:41 PM, you wrote:

> I must be particularly slow today but I cannot figure out how to use
> the insert smile function in the new version that I just downloaded.

When you double-click the Insert Smile text button, a small dialogue
box with an array of "Smiley" icon choices should appear. Place your
mouse pointer over the icon you wish to insert. Double click it, and
it will appear (as its text handle) at the point where your cursor is
in the MicroEd "Edit Mail Message" body.

After it is sent, it will be visible in a rich text view window. To
see the one I've inserted, if you don't have RTV enabled, right click
anywhere in the body text of your "View Folder" or "Browse Ticker" (if
you use the MailTicker) window. Choose Rich Text View (untick "Use
Plain Text Viewer," if it is ticked, that is) in the context menu
which appears, and be sure "Smileys" is ticked also in that menu.

Unfortunately there has been a bug in this feature's function
throughout the beta series in which it was tested. And it reappeared
for me for the first time, as I brought the dialogue window from
"Insert Smile" up. I got a series of cascading Alert boxes which said
"Canvas will not allow redrawing" and I had to kill The Bat! with the
Task Manager.

There's an issue report on it at Bug Tracker, I think. I'll go add a
note that I confirm the bug is still present in v. 3.85.2.

I really can't recommend that you use "Insert Smile" until this bug is
corrected.

Instead, type the "handle" in manually, or copy and paste it into your
message. If you have downloaded and installed the pcwsmileys smiley
set, you could bring up the web page for them at the link below, put
it in a side-by-side window, and c&p the handle for the smiley image
you want into your Edit Mail Message window.

http://www.PCWize.com/thebat/PCWSmileys.php

Hope this helps.

If anything I've written isn't clear, please ask me again here on
TBUDL. I'LL be happy to try to answer your question.

> Could not find anything under "help" for smile.

No, there's nothing there. :(

:tbflaga:

Mary, PCWSmileys Administrator
The Bat! 3.85.02 on Windows XP 5.1 2600 Service Pack 2

  • Re: Smiley Mary Bull