On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 at 12:50:23 -0500, Avram wrote:
> I know that both Lotus Notes and Outlook allow for e-mail groups to be

> created very easily, without placing any addresses in the bcc field.

To which  Robin Anson replied on Monday, November 27, 2006 4:49 PM:

>But all the addresses need to be in one of the addressee fields,
>otherwise the email servers between you and the recipients won't know
>where the email is to go. Even if you use a distribution list in
Outlook, it
>will insert the individual email addresses into the email itself when
it is
>sent.

This is not what I have seen at the company for which I work, which uses
Lotus Notes and Outlook.

In LN and in Outlook, when the group name is place in the "to" field,
that is the name seen by the recipient--not the individual e-mail
adresses. In Outlook, the group name is also seen by the recipient,
however, the recipient can click on a "+" sign next to the group name
and expand the group to the individual recipients' addresses.  However,
it just occurred to me that my experience with group names in both
Outlook and LN has been with internal mail and it may be that an outside
recipient WOULD see the individual e-mail addresses.  I'll have to test
this.

--
Avi
Avram Sacks