Barry @ 2006-12-06 3:02:51 AM
"Can someone explain HELO to me?" <mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> My knowledge on this subject is 'nil', hence my original post.
> However, my newsreader (Dialog) has an 'Advanced SMTP Settings'
> dialog which allows the user to specifically set the SMTP HELO
> identification. If it is left blank then the local computer name is
> used.

> To me that seems a good solution?

I'd say no.

> In my case shouldn't HELO be kentra.co.uk?

Probably not.

From section 3.5 of the standard:

> At the time the transmission channel is opened there is an exchange
> to ensure that the hosts are communicating with the hosts they think
> they are.
>
> The following two commands are used in transmission channel opening
> and closing:
>
>     HELO <SP> <domain> <CRLF>
>
>     QUIT <CRLF>
>
> In the HELO command the host sending the command identifies itself;
> the command may be interpreted as saying "Hello, I am <domain>".

Unless your local computer is the mail host for kentra.co.uk, you
don't want to identify yourself as kentra.co.uk. Something like your
computer's name or
the-randomly-assigned-name-given-you-by.your-isp.com would work
better.

Have you been having problems? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

--
Chris

Using The Bat! v3.85.03 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2.
Accessing a POP3 mailbox.

Spotted on a toilet in a London office block: TOILET OUT OF ORDER.
PLEASE USE FLOOR BELOW.