This is what I want to do:

I want to design a view mode that will apply to 120 of 123 folders.

Then I want 2 folders to have a slightly different layout.

Then I want a virtual folder to have a completely different layout with
additional columns.

Could someone tell me where to start?

I have resorted to deleting all the standard available folders and leving
myself with a generic view mode suitable for the 120 folders.

But if I go to the Virtual Folder and change it manually then save it with a
different name that folder immediately (on saving) reverts back to the
generic view mode.

From past experience I guess I have to set something in several different
places and using several different arcane menus but I have tried every
combination I can think of.

Roelof!!! Are you there? Helpppp? Ik heb nu uw hulp nodig (that's what
Balefish said anyway!)

--
Marten Gallagher
Annery Kiln Web Design