Hallo Jack,

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 17:00:44 -0600GMT (8-1-2009, 0:00 +0100, where I
live), you wrote:

JSL> A long time ago there was a thread on the dangers of leaving messages
JSL> in the inbox. Unfortunately I no longer remember exactly what the
JSL> danger was. I searched the archives for the subject line above but
JSL> found nothing explaining the problem. Does anybody remember?

Basically it comes to this.
The Inbox is a high traffic folder: every message that enters your
message base first arrives in the Inbox, moving and deleting
(automatically   and  manually)  means another mutation of your Inbox.
Due to these multiple mutations it's easy for things to go awry.
There's your first reason not to use the Inbox for permanent storage.
When  your  Inbox  is large it's more difficult to mutate it then when
it's  small,  so  using  the Inbox for permanent storage makes it more
likely for things to go awry.
Of course executing compress and purge daily minimises the chance that
things go bad.

I've  never had a corrupt Inbox, so I've never been bitten, but in the
past  the  issue  came up regularly. But why use a mail client with an
extensive  filtering  engine  like TB when you store everything in the
Inbox.

--
Groetjes, Roelof

I'm not a Vulcan, but I play one on TV - Leonard Nimoy
http://www.voormijalleen.nl/
The Bat! 4.1.9
Windows Vista 6.0 Build 6001 Service Pack 1
3 pop3 accounts
OTFE enabled
Quad Core 2.4GHz
4 GB RAM