Yes, I admit, I was one of those guys, in the back, bashing the Mobile
Network Operator Panel. Couldn't help it, Anastassia Lauterbach and
her "numbers" had taken me seriously. But, from the start:

- We landed in Barcelona, on a flight by the Iberan lowcost ClickAir,
with a considerable amount of heat, specially on the subways, where's
not AC.
- Stayed on the NH Rallye Hotel, right near Barça FC stadium and just
20 minutes walk to ENSADE Forum.
- Didn't got english speakers among the spanish people.
- Got a lot of wireless networks, apparently there's a city wifi AP
everywhere.
- Had dinner in two italian restaurants, drink a lot of Estrella's and
Coke's.

Morning Event:
  - Breakfast was only coffee and juice and we're starving
  - The keynote from Nokia's Pekka Pohjakallio was interesting; he
talked about innovation, the history of nokia and where she's heading
to. Smart advertising, less features that users care and use were
advices. The news (to me) was on how Ovi will be the nokia's
developers platform, to possibly compete with iphone apps marketplace.
- Comscore stats:  listening music, ringtone and games at 29->33 and
35% to 55%, 113% of growth in social networks, music (44%), video
(37%) and maps (31%) of network use.
  - Social Media Panel; was refreshing and where the mobile bashing
started. The applications guys ranted about on how the mobile
operators are closed. Tommy Ahlers was the "rock star" there, because
of Vodafone buying ZYB. Charlie Schick, from Nokia, made the sheep
act. Antonio Vince Staybl, from itsmy.com got this pearl: "with an
iPhone you can browse, then you can browse and browse again, there's
no innovation there". Best presence on the panel: Doug Richards from
Trutap, clear, credible and enthusiast.
- Startups Sessions: thumbs up to aka-aki, dial2do; thumbs down to all
the others, they didn't got me.
- VC Perspective Panel: Toni Fish, the best moderator so far, had did
his job and presented us with interesting questions to the panel,
where Inma Martinez from Stradbroke Advisors, was the most active one,
with nice tips. Maximilian Niederhofe from Atlas also round up some
advices and was open to startups. The key theme here was on how the
consumer data is important. The big lost there: Google that didn't
show up.

Lunch:
  - There were two other guys there from Portugal, WOW!! :)

Afternoon Event:
  - The Operator Perspective Panel: ahhh this his where I bashed the
panel, shouting from the back "what the f*ck?" and "you're the new
ISP's". Bottom line, where's the comment that I've made on Max blog
about it:
http://www.maxniederhofer.com/2008/07/04/mobile-20-the-conversation-in-the-wireless-industry-becomes-a-shouting-match/
"Second, I was one of those bashing the panel from the back of the
room, as I didn’t understood where the people from T-
She said that one of their problems was the excessive use of P2P and
Youtube, well Sherlock, welcome to the real world of ISPs. They’ve
made it “their problem” when they went after the ISPs for the ADSL and
Internet access, with those 3G dongles. Instead of providing a good
mobile internet user experience on every handset, they are providing
two lousy ones with 3G dongles and their high rates, as with the no
real internet access product on the mobile devices, where there’s no
good data
I know that they have an infrastructure problem, but as I “shouted”,
they’re the new ISP’s, they should be thinking about data
Also, the “come to us with your business plan, and we’ll help you”
sounds so bad…"
- Startup Sessions: thumbs up to Taptu and Nimbuzz.
- Open Business Models: Mike Butcher, the best afternoon moderator
with quite a show going on, Ilja Laurs from GetJar with nice stats
about the use of mobile applications, Leif Fågelstedt and Ray Anderson
also did a good job on presenting and talking about their companies.
Mike opened then the panel to audience questions and mine was: "Europe
has 27 countries, in each one there's at least 3 operators, some are
completely closed, some don't allow external applications of features
and others want exclusivity on applications in their country, so how
did you handle this fragmentation for your applications ?" Only Ilja
and  Leif answered, "you can't! that's the problem".

Like I said to Rudy before leaving, it was a great event! Looking
forward to next year!

//VD