The Star Tracker
http://www.thestartracker.org

About a month ago I met two founders of TheStarTracker in Barcelona.
So, there I was, talking to Celso Pinto and wondering why on major
events there's always few portuguese people and right next to me, two
more guys from portugal. That started the conversation. After trading
cards and talked about people we know in common, they explained what
was star tracker, which I've never heard until then. It seemed at
first sight pretty obvious that was the portuguese linkedin version.
Another linkedin, but now with fewer features and more portuguese
biased.

After reading the conditions and accepting the invite, I invited
people that seemed talented enough for me, or with possibilities to
achieve talent. There I found some friends that didn't want to join,
because they didn't like the initiative, because it was too political,
too show off, too this, too that. I, for instance, like to know how
things work and how people are, so I've gave the benefit of doubt. And
what have I found on star tracker, beside connecting to friends? A
hole new world of people, some I'll never connect to because they're
not in my field of expertise or just because we'll not probably never
meet personally. Just for fun, my contacts are always people that I
know personaly, so in linkedin I've got 97 contacts and in one month
of startracker, I've got 36. I'm no Loic le Meur or Scobble, but it's
rather curious how we know people and want to get in touch.

Stating the obvious is to say that the network is a great tool for the
founders, a executive head hunter, where some networks members just
show off and where's nothing new comparing to linkedin, feature
speaking. This is where it stops, because the forums are always
crowded, people in groups talk and communicate between them, and,
where they actually meet in physically. It's where linkedin is not -
the personal face to face contact of interesting people and not only
friends of friends.

The thorns, of course there're some, are mostly with the software
(.NET), the sticky feeling of that head hunting and rather confusing
and dense site. But, then again, I'm not there for this, rather to
know different people.

---------
Star Tracking Lisbon 2008
http://www.startracking.org/

Yesterday in Campo Pequeno, Lisbon, was the final event of the 'star
odyssey'. Star Tracker was born between social meetings and dinners
abroad, in six different countries, joining portuguese people living
there, while working or studying. Since everyone here in Portugal was
asking for the same event that was made outside, this StarTracking
Lisbon was intended to be a special one, closing in mother land all of
those dinners and conversations. For me was something new and I wasn't
expecting much. Oh! Just a plain, simple "dinner'", which was supposed
to be and it turned out to be a show plus cocktail. That seemed
somehow being robbed.

After a long story with EMEL and my car, I've managed to get there 1h
late, but still on time. I've joined Tarpipe (Bruno) and 9Idiots
(Alexandre + Sergio) on some cold beers and nice talks about our
companies, funding, technology, people and the event itself. They got
an Handivi demo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexandresolleiro/2719750731/in/photostream/
  & http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexandresolleiro/2720583042/ .

Back to the event; like I said, it seemed too much of fancy stuff and
none social contact or opportunities to meet people. Some were just
stayed there, in their tables, up until cocktail, other were outside
talking and smoking. Meanwhile me and Bruno, went downstairs and ate
something. Before that, some talented people talked and there I was,
anger to meet and hear Paulo Taylor, eBuddy founder. Thumbs up for
that. After them, we've got the lovely opportunity to hear our
Republic President and the UE President, with great messages to the
audience and for Portugal.

Now, the most interesting part was the late (!) cocktail, where people
got up to ate something, while a grovvie DJ just started his show -
which was very good. There people could talk, meet and get introduced.
For me, I've managed to talk to some guys that didn't saw for a while
and got the opportunity to talk to Paulo Taylor. Keywords there: "we
are you competition", which started a great conversation :)

Either way, I enjoyed the event and I'm looking forward for some more,
but with less few people, so that everyone could meet.

Final thoughts go for Tiago Forjaz, Pedro Brito and Leonardo Xavier -
congratulations for the event.

//VD