Sorry, I'm a little pressed for time at the moment and honestly don't know
if I still have the original to diff against.

The problem boiled down to a security exception.  The class Class is in a
jar file that did not have the proper policy set.  By using getClass(), the
result would be from the Jacl jar file which had the proper policy.