Perhaps I was not being clear. I am proposing two changes.

1. Remove the "search for .zip and .jar files" on env(TCL_CLASSPATH)
   feature. The fact that a use might accidently get .class files
   from a .jar or .zip file is just plain wrong.
2. Make a new env var called env(TCL_JARPATH) which is a list of
   directories that will be searched for jar and zip files.

So to sum up, env(TCL_CLASSPATH) would no longer be searched for jars
and only the directories listed in env(TCL_JARPATH) would be searched.
Of course, if you wanted to put the full path name of a .jar file on
the env(TCL_CLASSPATH) that would still be supported. Does anyone
see a problem with that? This would be going into 1.3 so
backward compatibility is not a valid objection.

Mo Dejong
Red Hat Inc.