On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Jiang Wu wrote:

> But the script does work under Tcl 8.3.1.  I need to point out that my 2nd
> script is NOT a "workaround".  It is not a workaround because you can't
> convert all callback scripts into this list form; it is not the normal way
> of writing Tcl; and you can't change other people's code this way.  It is
> there to demonstrate a more fundamental problem:  "Java objects in Tcl
> should be treated as global system resources like file handles (explicit
> create/remove) rather than other normal Tcl objects (implicit
> create/duplicate/remove)."

Well, if you really wanted a workaround, you could always unset the
variable in the after command :)

The real issue here is that Tcl does not have any support for
a "locking down" the internal rep of an object. There
is no "general" way to fix this problem because to really
fix it Tcl would need to be extended so that it supported
another sort of internal rep that could not be disposed of.

I talked with Paul Duffin about this sort of thing at the
last Tcl conference. He is doing something similar called
"feather". It is an interesting area, but I have not had
much time to spend on it lately.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc