On 4/1/2020 7:19 AM, Konovalov, Vadim wrote:
A Tcl::pTk user opened
a ticket observing this issue in the
test suite:

Can you open the ticket on Tcl.pm, given that we see that it is
more relevant here?

I have moved the existing ticket to keep the reporter informed.
I meant to adjust the title as well but couldn't do so once it moved.

But this would appear to assume the program writer is/should be
in control of compiling and packaging everything in their program.
It is not possible to do this when intending for Tcl.pm reuse
existing Tcl or Perl installations, such as from package managers.

IMO linker will use your function, if you redefine it in your code > and will
pass it sooner to linker.
So  you can "neutralize" freeing  environment variables in libtcl

IOW Tcl.xs should redefine Tcl_PutEnv to "forward" this into perl's
environment call - what is it?
According to https://perldoc.perl.org/5.30.0/perlclib.html#_stdlib.h_-functions
- this is my_setenv?

Interesting, this is something I'm not familiar with.

I have also neglected to consider if other Tcl wrappers (Python, Ruby)
are affected and whether they may have already solved the same problem.

I will work on the fix, when time permits

Thanks. Indeed there should be no rush to fix this. It is a benign issue
that might only pose a minor annoyance to users (e.g. "Your program
has crashed, report it?" nags from OS); unsaved data does not appear
to be in jeopardy because of it.

Christopher A. Chavez