Raj,
No, you are not alone, and it is not just software companies. I have dealt with this same exact problem in the past. That being said, I agree with the rest of the group that basically said that how you get treated is up to you. In my case, I work in manufacturing, and have for over 35 years. Like Mr. Geist, I can be one arrogant SOB when I have to be because like him, I have the experience and knowledge to back me up. This is, I believe, the key reason why there is so much disrespect being shown toward the profession today. A TW degree, or any other writing related degree, means nothing if you don't understand the technology youself. If you don't understand the technology, learn it. I have had to do this repeatedly. A good example was my foray into security x-ray systems. I knew nothing about them, but I learned quickly. The fact that I had a solid grounding in physics, electrical system, engineering materials, mechanics, manufacturing processes, and computers (an AS in computer science) gave me enough of a background to be able to quickly identify what it was I didn't know. So what do you have to do to put yourself in the same position as the rest of us so you can earn the respect necessary to do your job? Start learning the basics of software development and programming. take a class on BASIC, C++, JAVA, or what ever other language the programers are using. Get a book of AGILE or other development methods, and one on general system analysis. No, you don't have to become an expert. You are not trying to compete with those people. You just need to learn their language, and the key concepts of the field. This should start you down the right road. However, there are always those few cases where the folks you are working with really are just a bunch of arrogant clowns. I have been through that scenario a few times myself. All you can do in such a case is start the job hunt and find someone who will appreciate your skills. I know it's tough right now, but it can be done. I did it this last Spring after a year of trying to improve things at my last position. I found another opportunity and acted on it. I now work with a great group of people who treat me with respect. You can find the same type of environment if you work at it.

Jason A. Czekalski

At times, I wonder why technical writers are the least common denominators in a software
company. For example, if I submit a document for review, people schedule it for the last
few hours of a business day. This amply explains the 'importance' given to that task.
Moreover, I have to work with arrogant developers, testers, SMEs, and managers, who don't
care a damn about the information needs of technical writers. There is also an absurd
level of "technical apartheid" that at times gives a really wretched feeling.
Since a majority of the technical writers have no programming background or releavant
domain knowledge, people find it very easy to dismiss them as irrelevant irritants.
Ultimately, the conclusion that I can arrive at is that this is a ridiculous and
thankless job. Do you agree?

Raj

solution. Author in Doc-To-Help's XML-based editor, Microsoft Word or HTML and
publish to the Web, Help systems or printed manuals. Download Free Trial.
www.doctohelp.comhttp://www.techcommpros.com/componentone/