my _guess_ would be you would need to write some pseudo-driver (driver, not module) that looks more or less like a NIC driver, but simply loops things back up. call it, oh, the "loop" driver. get it installed into the system and create the loop0 interface - bring lo0 down and bring 127.0.0.1 up on your loop0 interface. attach to same with tcpdump.

SMOP :)

I seem to recall there being an "echo" streams module at some point - although I suspect that the so called "loop" driver may need to be a _bit_ more sophisticated.

that presumes that IP doesn't indeed get into the way. however, if it does, and you've make your loop driver sufficiently portable, you could just bring it over to HP-UX and set ip_loopback_bypass :)

rick jones

Wisdom teeth are impacted, people are affected by the effects of events

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.