(Blah blah blah once again I forgot to set the from line yes I know I should set up my sonic address as an alias but if I sent from my mit address replies get to me at work and at home so I can respond from either site blah blah blah.)

Kathy Chen wrote:

I want to know in what situations the machine's
network is set to "promiscuous" mode.

It's put into promiscuous mode if an application requests that the interface be put into promiscuous mode.

For example, I
know when I execute "tcpdump" on my machine, it's set
to be in promiscuous mode.

Only if you run tcpdump without the "-p" flag; the default is promiscuous mode, but "-p" causes tcpdump not to put the interface into promiscuous mode.

Any other cases?

Ethereal and Tethereal will also put the interface into promiscuous mode by default; you'd have to use "-p" as a command-line argument to Tethereal (or Ethereal, if you start the capture from the command line), or turn off the promiscuous mode option in the Ethereal GUI, not to run in promiscuous mode.

Some other applications, such as snoop on Solaris (and possibly some
other OSes), or Analyzer (on Windows), or other network analyzers, might
put the interface into promiscuous mode as well.

And is it correct that without "tcpcump", the network
is not in promiscuous mode?

No. Another program might put the interface into promiscuous mode.

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.