Hi,

I've recently read the draft of the new file format -- very interesting.
I'd like to raise a question here on a feature I've always thought would
be useful: An offset, in addition to the snaplen. This feature is surely
almost self-explanatory and in the old format it would be something like
this in my opinion:
[ ... ] [ accuracy ] [ snaplen ] [ offset ] [ layer type ] [ content ]

So the content of each packet captured would be ``offset[snaplen]''. This
simple addition has the obvious effect of permitting a more efficient use
of the format in terms of disk space -- for instance, if for some reason
the informations of a given layer isn't needed, it can be easily skiped.

I was searching for a similar feature in the draft -- couldn't find, and
while I was doing a carefully reading of the Interface Description Block,
I was wondering what could be the values of the "Reserved" field. This is
a theorical example of a field that could be used to specify an offset...

The "list of valid options" in this block also does not specify an option
for something like an offset. I thought at first that it would be easy to
suggest an addition of such a type as one of the goals pursued by the new
format is the extensibility -- and it surely does it very competently. So
something like this would do it fine:

Name: if_offset
Code: 14
Length: 4

This option would break the format though, as the definition of the Packet
Block specifies the Packet Data field as "the data coming form the
network, including link-layer headers". Would not this wording restrict
the extensibility of the format? IMO this field should be specified as
loosely as possible.

Anyways, if I were to specify that feature of an offset value, would that
be better applicable as an option to a block or as a field in a block (in
the interface description block, more specifically).

--
Felipe Kellermann
-