On May 27, 2010, at 9:48 AM, Mcmillan, Scott A wrote:

> This is an updated patch for tcpdump-4.1.1 to add the capability to select hw
> timestamps via the -j command line option.  The usage has been simplified: -j
> now takes no argument, and uses the hw timestamp transformed into the system
> clock basis corresponding to "-j nic" from the previous patch.
>
> I left the more generic libpcap infrastructure in place to support future
> extensions that may want more precise selection of the timestamp source.

I could see devices other than the Intel adapters in question using this; for
example, CACE Technologies' TurboCap devices:

        http://www.cacetech.com/products/turbocap.html

offer high-precision time stamping with a busy loop or lower-precision time
stamping with the adapter generating the time stamps (as well as no
timestamping, but that's probably best used with pcap-ng, where you can have a
packet block without a time stamp, so the application knows there's no time
stamp).-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.