On Nov 11, 2012, at 2:55 PM, barcaroller <barcarol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The libpcap C API provides functions for writing (pcap_dump) and reading
> (pcap_next) a PCAP file.  I have two questions:
>
> - How do I remove a packet from a PCAP file using the libpcap C API?

You can't remove a packet from an existing file - pcap files are sequential
files.

What you *can* do is read a file and write out all the packets, except the ones
you don't want, to a new file.

> - Once I close a PCAP file (pcap_close), I find I cannot re-open it later
> (pcap_dump_fopen) and append to it.  I get a corrupt file every time.  Are
> PCAP files not meant to be appended to?

They could, in principle, be appended to, but that can't be done with the
existing APIs - you'd need an "open for appending" call, which would, unlike
the "create a new file" calls (pcap_dump_open(), pcap_dump_fopen()), *not*
write a file header.