From: tcpdump-workers-boun...@lists.tcpdump.org
[mailto:tcpdump-workers-boun...@lists.tcpdump.org] On Behalf Of Eliezer Croitoru
Sent: den 25 november 2013 02:04
To: tcpdump-workers@lists.tcpdump.org
Subject: [tcpdump-workers] How tcpdump determines the "dropped by kernel"?

I have been reading the man pages of tcpdump and I am not sure if my OS will
report the relevant info.

Since I would not like to research tcpdump code I would like to get some help
about it from others.

So my kernel would declare on packets that was dropped but still the connection
was OK and was not disrupted in any way I can think about.

What exactly this "drop by kernel" means?
Is it dropped by kernel and was not handled by any application? or it means
that the buffers of tcpdump got filled and there-for was dropped by tcpdump?

I am not sure I am even asking the right question but this is how it seems to
me.

In any case I would like to do a very big dump into a storage system on a very
loaded system and which I would like to not drop any packet by either the
kernel or any other level if possible.
In a case there are tuning to the system in couple layers I would like to at
least minimize the drops from lots of packets into a small amount of packets.

Thanks in Advance,
Eliezer