On Feb 13, 2014, at 10:23 AM, "Daniel H. Bahr" <dhb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There IS a chance more than one instance of the Object owning the
> native methods would be created IF there would be need to sniff at
> several network interfaces simultaneously; in which case there would
> be a single instance of the class for each network interface to be
> sniffed.
>
> Could this raise the issues you mention above?

As long as each pcap_t * you have open is being accessed by one specific
*OS-level thread of control within the address space*, the only issues you will
have would happen if more than one thread ("thread" in the sense of an OS-level
thread of control within the address space) is trying to run pcap_compile().

That wouldn't cause a crash while capturing traffic, however; you'd only get a
problem if more than one thread of control within the address space is running
pcap_compile() at the same time.  I don't know whether you'd get a crash or
just mysterious parsing errors.

(I say "OS-level thread of control within the address space" because I'm not
sure there's always a one-to-one correspondence between Java threads and
OS-level threads.)