On 07/19/2014 09:20 AM, French_christ wrote:
I just have a question and i am suppose to answer it.
The question is :ICMP echo request was sent by the client,then ICMP
echo reply was recieved by the client,both have timestamps on the
tcpdump output The question is how long took the ICMP echo reply to
be sent from the server to the client.

Questions, the answers to which will perhaps help lead you to the/an answer.

*) Do you have just the one tcpdump trace or do you have tcpdump traces from both the client and the server?

*) Do the client and the server synchronize their clocks?

*) How large is the latency as reported by ping (I'm assuming ping is the source of these ICMP Echo Requests and so triggers the ICMP echo replies)?

*) What do you know about the network path from the client to the server?

*) What do you know about the network path from the server to the client?

Answers to at least some, if not all, those questions will go a long way towards being able to say something about how long it took the ICMP Echo Reply to travel from the server to the client.

rick jones