--- Begin Message ---
On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 7:38 PM Michael Richardson <m...@sandelman.ca> wrote:

> Aki Van Ness via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers@lists.tcpdump.org> wrote:
>     > I'm working on a project that plans to store PCI and PCI-Express
>     > packets in the pcapng format as that's the most appropriate storage
>     > format and I really rather not roll something custom.
>
>     > As such what are thoughts on adding Link-Layer types for PCI, PCI-X,
>     > and PCI-Express?
>
> Yes, you could do that.
> pcapng can handle a mix of different DLTs
> (pcap can not).
>
> It seems that they might be sufficiently similar that a single DLT might suit
> you.   Maybe you just want to build a header that accomodates a typical set
> of meta data.
>
> I imagine you'd have things like: PCI cycle type (read, write, configuration,
> IO, memory), read/write, address, any burst count, who is mastering, etc.
>
> The bulk of the content would be data transfered.

Yeah it might be possible to use something like a single DLT. The
issue I can possibly forsee with that is PCI, PCI-X, and PCI-Express
are all slightly different enough to be a pain to group together into
a single structure.

It might be better to have either each type be its own DLT or if it
must be one DLT a layered approach with a meta-header of sorts that
just describes some of the generic information about
the link, like it's type, etc. then have a sub-section whose
interpretation is dependent on the link type.

I'm more partial towards the former than the latter personally, but I
understand not wanting to add a bunch of DLTs at once.

>     > And would you want to group all versions of PCI, PCI-X, and
>     > PCI-Express together or have them be their own values?
>
> --
> ]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [
> ]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        |    IoT architect   [
> ]     m...@sandelman.ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails
> [

--- End Message ---