--- Begin Message ---
> If the fields of the footer are aligned on natural boundaries, the footer
> will be 72 bytes long; if they are *not* aligned, the footer will be 53 bytes
> long.

The footer is exactly 54 Bytes long.

> Are they aligned on natural boundaries?

No, it is not aligned but packet.  We use #pragma pack(1) for the footer
structure.

> Presumably VarSize is the same thing as PayloadSize?  If so, then presumably
> incl_len must be equal to VarSize + {either 53 or 72}.

Yes, VarSize is the same thing as PayloadSize. And also yes the incl_len must
be equal to VarSize + 54.

> So what do the two time stamps indicate for the various various of
> Representation?

For the current implementation only the first time stamp is of significance. It
is planned to add an on-device aggregation of request and response for IO-Link
and we are trying to use the second time stamp to mark the response arrival
time.

For frame preemption protocol (FPP) we also plan to mark a reassembled
preempted frame with both time stamps in the capture device. Reassembling on
the device is not possible without losing the timing information with the
current link layer type.

Synchronization is also a scenario where we see a possible use case for the
second timestamp.
It is not jet specified how the above will be implemented so variation may
occur.

> What do the four fields of the SrcID indicate for the various values of
> Representation?

For Representation 0x01 to 0x05 their meaning is defined as following:
tSrcId.ulPart1netANALYZER device number
tSrcId.ulPart2netANALYZER serial number
tSrcId.bPart4netANALYZER port number

For Representation 0x02 to 0x05
tSrcId.bPart3netANALYZER TAP name (as character, e.g. 'A' = 0x41 or 'B')

For Representation 0x01
tSrcId.bPart3netANALYZER TAP number

> What do the values of PayloadState indicate for the various values of
> Representation?

For Representation 0x02 to 0x05
#define MSK_VAR_STATE_RX_ERR0x0000000000000001
#define MSK_VAR_STATE_WRONG_FCS0x0000000000000002
#define MSK_VAR_STATE_ALIGN_ERR0x0000000000000004
#define MSK_VAR_STATE_FRAME_SHORT0x0000000000010000
#define MSK_VAR_STATE_FRAME_TRUNCATED  0x0000000000020000
#define MSK_VAR_STATE_PREAMBLE_SHORT    0x0000000100000000
#define MSK_VAR_STATE_PREAMBLE_LONG     0x0000000200000000
#define MSK_VAR_STATE_NO_SFD            0x0000000400000000
#define MSK_VAR_STATE_FRAGMENT_CNT_ERR  0x0000001000000000
#define MSK_VAR_STATE_SMD_SEQ_ERR      0x0000002000000000

For Representation 0x01 PayloadState is defined to be 0x0000000000000001

> What other possible values of PayloadType are there?

The PayloadType has the following possible values but they are not usefull for
capturing network traffic. So the only value in the context of packet data will
be 0x0A which represents DATATYPE_OCTET_STRING.

#define VAR_DATATYPE_BOOLEAN        0x01
#define VAR_DATATYPE_BIT1           0x30
#define VAR_DATATYPE_BIT2           0x31
#define VAR_DATATYPE_BIT3           0x32
#define VAR_DATATYPE_BIT4           0x33
#define VAR_DATATYPE_BIT5           0x34
#define VAR_DATATYPE_BIT6           0x35
#define VAR_DATATYPE_BIT7           0x36
#define VAR_DATATYPE_BIT8           0x37
#define VAR_DATATYPE_INTEGER8       0x02
#define VAR_DATATYPE_INTEGER16      0x03
#define VAR_DATATYPE_INTEGER24      0x10
#define VAR_DATATYPE_INTEGER32      0x04
#define VAR_DATATYPE_INTEGER40      0x12
#define VAR_DATATYPE_INTEGER48      0x13
#define VAR_DATATYPE_INTEGER56      0x14
#define VAR_DATATYPE_INTEGER64      0x15
#define VAR_DATATYPE_UNSIGNED8      0x05
#define VAR_DATATYPE_UNSIGNED16     0x06
#define VAR_DATATYPE_UNSIGNED24     0x16
#define VAR_DATATYPE_UNSIGNED32     0x07
#define VAR_DATATYPE_UNSIGNED40     0x18
#define VAR_DATATYPE_UNSIGNED48     0x19
#define VAR_DATATYPE_UNSIGNED56     0x1A
#define VAR_DATATYPE_UNSIGNED64     0x1B
#define VAR_DATATYPE_REAL32         0x08
#define VAR_DATATYPE_REAL64         0x11
#define VAR_DATATYPE_VISIBLE_STRING 0x09
#define VAR_DATATYPE_OCTET_STRING   0x0A
#define VAR_DATATYPE_UNICODE_STRING 0x0B
#define VAR_DATATYPE_NONE           0xff

>> Slicing a captured packet is not supported by our capturing device.

> But some software can slice packets afterwards.  Either that would have to be
> forbidden (meaning editcap and, I think, tcpdump would have to check for
> LINKTYPE_NETANALYZER_NG/DLT_NETANALYZR_NG and refuse to do slicing), or they
> would have to 1) ensure that the slice size is >= the footer size and 2) do
> the slicing specially, removing bytes *before* the footer, so that if
> incl_len < VarSize + footer_size, (VarSize + footer_size) - incl_len bytes
> have been sliced off.

Both might be possible path to take for slicing. In any case the PayloadSize
should also be adjusted when the payload length is changed in my opinion. Is
this a Problem?