--- Begin Message ---
Dear Denis,

On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 11:08:44PM +0000, Denis Ovsienko via tcpdump-workers
wrote:
> Thank you for the offer. For the operating systems specifics please see
> below.

thanks for the details.

In general, any of those can be hosted by sysmocom.  Should we just order
those four raspi's?  We're familiar with Raspbian and Debian as well as
most Linux systems in general, but not very much so with the various BSDs.

Inbound Ethernet/IP access (via port forwarding from a static IP) is possible;
we can also set up remote serial console via TTL/UART .  Remote HDMI/keyboard
is unfortunately not an option.

For those BSDs, it might make sense if
1) we purchase the hardware
2) somebody has bootable images to simply provide those
3) we 'dd' the images to the SD card / USB drive, make sure they get a static
   IP on a "DMZ" VLAN and set up the port-forward and, as needed, TTL UART
   access to the serial console via a different machine.

> One important thing to keep in mind is that the workers may end up
> executing arbitrary commands when building a pull request
> automatically. So it is best to keep them firewalled from internal
> networks and not to keep any other important workload/data on the same
> host.

In terms of network: Sure, we do this the same for the other jenkins
slaves we operate.  They are in their own subnet/VLAN which only permits
public IP access (via NAT).

> It might be possible to use some virtualisation means to isolate
> the workers from the rest of the host, but please do not count on that
> anytime soon unless you can do it yourself.

I think at the low cost and low pwoer consumption of raspi's, I would have
simply assumed to use one dedicated unit for each of those builders...

For Linux, we have positive experience with putting build slaves in lxc
containers on top of Raspbian (e.g. Debian containers on Raspbian).  So
if it is about multiple distributions that can run on the same kernel
version (and the overall load is low enough), that is one option.  For
the BSDs, I would suggest to keep it simple and on dedicated hardware?

> Let me know which ARM workers look feasible to you. If you can host
> PowerPC workers instead or in addition to that, it would help too.

Depends on the hardware.  If it's reasonably small and either
inexpensive or can be provided, we  can certainly also look at hosting
that.

I only have an ancient "Titanium Powerbook G4" and a similarly old
MPC7400 based Apple machine in my retrocomputing collection, and I would
certainly not recommend using any of those for power consumption and
processing power reasons...

btw: I'm not sure if qemu full system emulation of e.g. ppc on a x86_64
hardware would be an option, though.  I think openbuildservice.org is
doing that a lot for building packages on less popular architectures.

--
- Harald Welte <lafo...@gnumonks.org>           http://laforge.gnumonks.org/