--- Begin Message ---
And some initial discussions which aren't yet reflected on the mailing list:

-----Original Message-----
From: Scheffenegger, Richard
Sent: Freitag, 18. August 2023 14:01
To: Francois-Xavier Le Bail <devel.fx.leb...@orange.fr>;
tcpdump-workers@lists.tcpdump.org
Cc: Denis Ovsienko <de...@ovsienko.info>; Guy Harris <ghar...@sonic.net>;
jyo...@gsu.edu; Casper Andersson <casper.ca...@gmail.com>; Eamon Doyle
<eamo...@arista.com>; Jonas Chianu <jchi...@onx-jchianu-02.ciena.com>; Jesse
Rosenstock <j...@google.com>; Michael Richardson <m...@sandelman.ca>; headshog
<craaaaaach...@gmail.com>; cauldwell.tho...@gmail.com
Subject: RE: Accurate ECN support in tcpdump/libpcap

(Adding everyone who has participated in the discussion so far, since it seems
that tcpdump-workers mailman is not working, as well as a number of additional
recent committers and participants)

Hi Francois,

I do not think there is ambiguity here.

Tcpdump - any every tool afterwards - has been using "." for ACKs.

"N" had been in (very rare) use for the NS bit (RFC3540), which is now obsolete
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/status-change-ecn-signaling-with-nonces-to-historic/).
 While this is the same bit (and arguably, the authors of RFC3540 could have
made more effort to get that bit adopted in tooling back in 2001-2003), the
semantics are dramatically different than the current use.

"A" has never been in use before, as a single character abbreviation, and is in
use for the last 2+ years in other tooling around packet mangling, tracing,
decoding and forging such as wireshark and packetdrill...
(and yes, I did let the ball drop with tcpdump for a couple months, when all
the other tools were updated reflecting the "A" char change there, which was
completely uncontentious in those communities).

I suspect it would create more confusion, if tcpdump was using a different
mapping, than other tools (just like with the "." for Ack, which is in common
use throughout those very same tools).

Another interesting aspect which I would be keen on learning, if per-session
stateful decoding is something that the tcpdump community would entertain. Once
the AccECN handshake (in a SYN) was seen, subsequently the AE, ECE and CWR bits
together form the ACE counter. In packetdrill and also wireshark this gets then
decoded numerically (0..7) instead of having one character per bit...

Best regards,
  Richard