> > In addition to amd64/i386, it occurs to me that sparc64/sparc32 is
> > another case; IIRC it's possible to take sparc64 hardware and build a
> > (special? not sure) kernel that runs sparc32 userland.  I've never
> > tried it; I don't know whether sparc32 and sparc64 are as freely
> > mixable at runtime as amd64 and i386 are under amd64 kernels.
>
> Yes, that's what compat/netbsd32 is for.  (Of course, there are still a
> few things like mount I never bothered to get working across ABIs.)

there are a few supported cases here:  32 bit kernel on 64 bit cpu
(32 bit userland only).  64 bit kernel with either size userland.

eeh - matt@ fixed mount compat a few years ago, as well as a lot
of the remaining edge cases we'd never gotten to.  it was necessary
to run full n32 userland on n64 kernel (we still build all the
kvm-on-running-kernel-using programs as n64.)  so that generally
works fine now..

.mrg.