On Tue, Dec 04, 2018 at 08:23:20PM -0800, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> This is especially important with solid state drives.  Those inode updates
> that write less-than-a-NAND-chunk worth fragment the drive's translation
> tables, which eventually leads to write amplification and reduced lifespan of
> the drive.

Yes - this originally came to my attention with LFS, where at one
point in the distant past, the atime updates were triggering
full-segment writes for every file *read*!

I think LFS may still have a local workaround for this.  Perhaps it
should be generalized.

--
 Thor Lancelot Simon                                         t...@panix.com
  "Whether or not there's hope for change is not the question.  If you