>> I tried trimming 8 at 0.  Still the same syndrome: TRIM timeout,
>> flush timeout, device timeout reading [...]
> You may have to set the AT_LBA48 flag (not sure if this is present on
> 5.2)

It is not.  5.2 has an ATA_LBA48 flag, going with the flags field of
struct ata_bio, but no LBA48 flag for ata_command.flags.

My evolution of 5.2 has AT_READREG48, which I added as part of my
attempt to support HPAs.  But that's the closest thing I see, and
that's not really close enough to be useful here.

> so that `wdccommandext' gets called rather than `wdccommand' for the
> ATA_DATA_SET_MANAGEMENT command.  All this from [FreeBSD]

And presumably the NetBSD wdccommand/wdccommandext difference matches
the FreeBSD one closely enough for that to be relevant?  I shall have
to read wdccommand* over in more detail.

                                        Mouse