some random ideas/info about this, no real help yet.

Josh Moyer writes:
> I hacked kern/init_main.c to panic on line 739 before the display goes dark
> and the last two dmesgs are:
>
> pci_mem_find: void region (dev/pci/pci_map.c)

hmm, this one happens when the mapping size is 0.  can you post the
output of "pcictl pciN dump -d 0", for whatever "radeon0 at pciN"
matches the dmesg logs, for a boot that disabled radeon0.

> radeon0: map 5 failed (could not find corresponding source file)

this comes from sys/external/bsd/drm2/pci/drm_pci.c:

115                 if (pci_mapreg_info(pa->pa_pc, pa->pa_tag, reg, type,
116                         &bm->bm_base, &bm->bm_size, &bm->bm_flags) != 0) {
117                         aprint_debug_dev(self, "map %u failed\n", unit);

which is basically reporting the same error.  BAR5 has no size.

this may be related to it not doing a POST properly, and our code
isn't properly doing that first.. eg, radeon_r300.c:r300_init()
calls radeon_boot_test_post_card(), which will do POST if it has
not been done... though it relies upon vbios being found.

.mrg.