u...@stderr.spb.ru (Valery Ushakov) writes:

>Switching from a fixed size array to a dynamic one is probably not too
>much work either.  But then, overall, I think that trying to make the
>kernel substitute for screen, tmux (in base), etc is kinda dead end,
>so I'd rather we don't encourage it.

We currently already have an inconsistent configuration. wscons
is limited to 8 screens but there are keyboard symbols to switch
to 10 screens where the last two cannot be used.

So bumping the screen limit to 10 shouldn't really be the question.

Bumping both limits to 12 (and augmenting keysyms and the keymaps
for this) would align this with the other *BSDs. The con side here
is that some keyboards either only have 10 function keys or already
use F11 and F12 for other purposes (like DEC keyboard has F11=ESC,
so ctrl-alt-f11 invokes DDB).