staf...@shangtai.net (=?UTF-8?B?U3RhZmZhbiBUaG9tw6lu?=) writes:

>[    21.611880] scsibus1 at umass1: 2 targets, 1 lun per target
>[    21.611880] sd1 at scsibus1 target 0 lun 0: <NXP, LPC1XXX IFLASH,
>1.0> disk removable
>[    21.611880] sd1: fabricating a geometry
>[    21.611880] sd1: 34816, 0 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 68
>sectors
>[    21.611880] autoconfiguration error: sd1: unable to open device,
>error = 5

>It seems a bit interesting that it reports 2 targets, but only creates
>an sd for one,

The '2 targets' is a parameter of 'scsibus1', it tells the SCSI layer
that it may look for up to 2 targets. USB mass storage usually only
has a single 'sd' target, but some also provide an extra 'ses'
enclosure target.

>and 0 cylinders seems a bit suspicous but I don't know if
>that's ok or not.

When the drive doesn't return a valid geometry, the driver uses
a fake one, based on 64 heads and 32 sectors per head. In your
case the drive is smaller than a single cylinder (64*32), so
you get zero (full) cylinders.

Fortunately the drive geometry isn't really used anywhere. All
accesses just use the logical block addresses.

The EIO (5) error probably occurs because the drive is reported
as 'offline'. This is like a drive with a removable medium but
no medium has been loaded.

It is possible that there needs to be some action to 'load'
the 'medium', or it might just take some time to appear online.
You may use

   scsictl sd1 start

to attempt another access.

The LPC1xxx manual didn't reveal anything obvious about
this problem. It just claims that you can copy the firmware
to the storage. It also doesn't say how, with just 68 sectors
that's not a fake filesystem, you probably need to write
the firmware image to the raw device.