> On Jul 1, 2023, at 8:20 AM, tlaro...@polynum.com wrote:
>
> This is also what I meant by "static seems to be considered deprecated".

Honestly, I find the obsession with static linking hilariously quaint.  NetBSD
already bends backwards to an extreme degree by ensuring that old version of
*system calls* work correctly *in the kernel*.  Some other systems provide the
ABI contract at the libc boundary, and let the libc <-> kernel interface be
fluid (keep the compatibility stuff in user-space where it belongs!)

Obviously this is not feasible to do with static binaries, and we have one
platform that ONLY supports static, but for the rest, I honestly think we
should officially deprecate static linking in the general case (obviously it
has some uses in super-constrained environments, but in those cases we are
often also using crunch’d binaries as well).

-- thorpej