On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Jeremy Charles <jchar...@epic.com> wrote:
> One of our server admins is telling me that his Solaris server's IP
> multipathing software is checking connectivity to the default gateway by
> sending ICMP echo requests addressed to the following:
>

> MAC address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
>
> IP address 0.0.0.0
>

> He's telling me that the Solaris host is expecting to see the default
> gateway respond to that.
>

> Does anyone else view this as one or more of the following:
>
> 1)  The actual expected behavior of Solaris IP multipathing
>
> 2)  Something isn't completely configured

I'm not familiar with Solaris multipathing, but from a protocol
perspective I would have expected the IP target to have been
255.255.255.255 not 0.0.0.0.   The 255.* address is the RFC official
local network broadcast address.  According the the RFCs I can find,
the 0.* address should only be used as a source address for a packet
(when a machine doesn't know it's local address yet).  Is it possible
that there is a misconfiguration somewhere?

Bill Bogstad