On 9/24/2010 9:47 PM, Tom Limoncelli wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 8:22 PM, Edward Ned Harvey<lop...@nedharvey.com>
> wrote:
>>> From: tech-boun...@lopsa.org [mailto:tech-boun...@lopsa.org] On Behalf
>>> Of Andrew Keen
>>>
>>> RAID6 has terrible write performance.
>>> Try RAID10.
>> Only true for random writes/reads.  Raid6 does fine for continuous IO.
> Umm... I believe that RAID6 has just as bad write performance as RAID5.
>
> RAID0 and RAID10 are really the only levels with good write performance.
>
> Tom

RAID-5/6 are bad at IOPS. You get the equivalent IOPS of one disk
(because all disks have to ask in synchronicity. But, for throughput,
they are just fine. As long as you're writing more than (and preferably
in multiples of) the stripe width, there's no penalty with a modern
processor. zoom zoom for large sequential throughput.