From: Steve Yuroff [mailto:syur...@hiebing.com]
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2010 2:11 PM
To: Dustin Puryear; LOPSA Tech List
Subject: Re: [lopsa-tech] Offsite DNS hosting for Active Directory

On 10/1/10 1:15 PM, "Dustin Puryear" <dpury...@puryear-it.com> wrote:

> We have a [common] situation where a company has a single site, has Active
> Directory, and only has one Domain Controller (DC). We could bring up a second
> DC, but there are hardware and licensing costs. That, and most AD networks
> that are workstation-heavy can survive quite well after a DC goes down for a
> good bit of time. If you exclude the fact that the DC is also the DNS primary
> for that network.
>
> Anyone know of a DNS hosting service that is known to play well with hosting
> secondary DNS for AD DNS?
>
> And what are your thoughts on this in terms of security? Anyone using a
> hosting service to provide secondary DNS capabilities for internal DNS?
>
> ---

Is there any existing hardware that would be suitable for running a 2nd DC
in a VM?  I ran 5-6 VM's (including a DC) in an Ubuntu/VMWare Server setup
before I moved to Xen, on a server that was low end 3 years ago.  You'd
still have the licensing issue, but how many months of DNS hosting charges
will it take to surpass the one time license purchase?

--
Steve Yuroff
Network and System Administrator