On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 03:28:22PM -0700, Darrin Chandler wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 03:05:37PM -0700, Nick Bender wrote:

> > > Well I certainly didn't get that impression from this thread, Sorry
> > > you did..  Happy Trails.
> > >

> > Ditto. Thought this thread was fairly productive:
> >
> > - question raised
> > - clarification sought
> > - clarification provided
> > - solution given
> > - bug found
> > - patch proposed and debated
> >
> > > You could enforce minimum levels
> > > of civility, as many such communities do, without impeding the flow of
> > > technical information a it, but you choose not to.
> >
> > Civility is in the eye of the moderator. I prefer my debate unfiltered...
>
> There was some belittling of Allen for asking about UBC. I don't think
> it added anything. Not even humor. Beck's initial response was a good
> one, clarifying and offering something to try, but at least one person
> jumped in with unhelpful comments. There were also informative and
> interesting replies, and in fact these made of the bulk of the thread.
> While this thread was relatively mild compared to some I think Allen has
> a point. There's just no need to escalate what should have been a purely
> technical discussion into an ad hominem attack.

are you talking about Bret's reply about buzzwords?  imo, that's what
that reply was about, buzzwords.  there was nothing personal.  see,
the way buzzwords work, is they get stuck in your (as in most people)
head, then they come out when you have a idea but don't know quite
how to express it.  which is clearly the situation here.

I think readers of OpenBSD lists are far too sensitive.  there, that's
a personal 'attack' on all y'all.

--
jake...@sdf.lonestar.org