On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Otto Moerbeek <o...@drijf.net> wrote:
> Add to that that doing I/O in big chunks is also putting more pressure
> on the buffer cache.

The buffer cache keeps a copy of whatever goes through it regardless
of size.  The io is broken down into 64k chunks no matter what size cp
says to use.

This isn't really about "big" chunks at all.  It's about not wasting
time seeking around when we know there is more data.

Concern over "what if" is a little misplaced I think.  If
theoretically this patch will cause system havoc, what happens if a
regular user installs it into their own copy of cp?