On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Mark Kettenis <mark.kette...@xs4all.nl>
wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 16:54:23 -0500 (EST)
>> From: Ted Unangst <ted.unan...@gmail.com>
>>
>> increase the hard limit on i386 max data size to 2GB-1.  This will allow
>> memory hungry processes to potentially use more RAM if you increase data
>> limits appropriately.
>
> I really think that -1 is odd.  Where would those potential overflows be?

Anyone who stores the limit in a signed int (or long).  Do I know of
any such software?  No.  Am I willing to risk the possibility of such
existing to squeeze out a few more bytes?  No.

I will happily set it to straight 2GB, or even higher if we don't care
about possible trouble, so long as everybody promises not to complain
if an issue is found. :)