On Friday, February 4, Henning Brauer wrote:

> i don't think there is is special treatment for the carp group. but
> memory is fuzzy. we might very well "forget" to clean up when a group
> becomes empty.

There is a bit of an inconsistency when it comes to
'ifconfig foo' style of the ifconfig command.  You
can do 'ifconfig groupname', and it will show all
interfaces in group "groupname".  You can also do
'ifconfig dev-prefix', which seems to show all the
interfaces with the particular device prefix.

For example, on my box, if I do 'ifconfig bge', it
will show me all bge* interfaces, even if none of
them are in a group called 'bge'.  So the shutdown
could be correct using 'ifconfig carp', if that
command would return all carp interfaces because
"carp" is the dev-prefix.  However, since we have
a "carp" group, it uses that instead...

--Toby.