On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 08:54:42PM +0100, Simon Kuhnle wrote:
> while playing around with some zone file generator/update scripts,
> I noticed that we're missing BINDs named-compilezone(8).
>
> named-compilezone is normally just a symlink to named-checkzone
> and if executed with this name, some defaults get changed:
>
> "named-compilezone is similar to named-checkzone, but it always dumps
> the zone contents to a specified file in a specified format.
> Additionally, it applies stricter check levels by default, since the
> dump output will be used as an actual zone file loaded by named. When
> manually specified otherwise, the check levels must at least be as
> strict as those specified in the named configuration file."
>
> It is referenced in our named-checkzone manpage and has been around
> since BIND 9.4.0 according to usr.sbin/bind/README.
>
> Is there a specific reason why this isn't included?
>
> I don't know if my patch is the correct way to do this,
> but it does the trick.

FYI, normally this would get installed by default,
when we'd use the usr.sbin/bind/obj/bin/check/Makefile.

I know the workaround (just create the symlink yourself) is pretty
easy to accomplish, but perhaps it'd be nicer if it'd get installed by
default.

Is my patch crap or is BIND just not of interest anymore,
since NSD is now the way to go?

Regards,
--
Simon