On Wed, 11 May 2011 19:58:56 +0000
Jacob Meuser <jake...@sdf.org> wrote:

> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 09:45:05AM +0300, Sviatoslav Chagaev wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 May 2011 03:35:56 +0000
> > Jacob Meuser <jake...@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> >
> > > clipping is better than normalizing?  really?
> >
> > Clipping might describe something like value&0xffffff, so no, not
> > clipping, saturating addition.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(audio)

Alright.

> > Try it and see for yourself.
>
> it is like jackd, which I find annoying.  I agree, changing volume of
> an active stream is annoying, but there is a reason for it.
>

> > > what about the case where aucat is used for offline mixing?
> > >

> > What about it?
>
> it's a very different use case than the one you're trying to "fix".
> I'm asking you how your "fix" is going to affect that use case.

With the (already obsolete, so it doesn't matter anymore) diff that
I posted, people who require this "normalization" would have to
use the -v option.

> > > like the mixerctl change, you are taking away things that exist
> > > for good reason, because it makes *your* situation better in *your*
> > > opinion, when you can (mostly) have what you want with the current
> > > code (if you just try a little).
> > >

> > I'm not taking anything away,
>
> you most certainly are.  whether or not you believe the code to be
> correct/useful is irrelevant, you are removing something.

Whether it is a good thing or a bad thing is another question.

> > I'm setting things right.
>
> lemme offer a suggestion.  the next time you run into something
> that doesn't make any sense to you, check if someone else has already
> questioned it and if any reason has already been given.  or at least
> ask why instead of asserting that it is wrong.  that will get you
> more sympathy, from me anyway.

My impression is that the opposite is true on tech@: if you don't have
a diff -- it's just empty, useless talk and you shouldn't post if you
don't have a diff.
Besides, looking from an ordinary Joe User viewpoint, I don't think
there is anything that could convince me that aucat is presently
appropriatly handling the task of being a system sound server.
(Alexandre already gave me enough information about why things are
the way they are; I don't see any problem in making everyone
happy, the Joe Users who want the sound system to "just work" and
advanced audio-philes who require advanced features and precision
control)