On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 09:59:22AM +0100, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2011/06/14 09:33, Florian Obser wrote:
> > anyone?
>
> This is just how it works.
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.openbsd.misc/144553/focus=144586
>
> > > but doesn't explain the semantics of continuation lines. I don't feel
> > > qualified to provide a patch for pf.conf(5).
>
> How about this? I tried a few wordings to explain it but none
> were right, so it seems clearest with an example.
>
>      Lines can be joined using a backslash (`\'), for example:
>
>            pass log proto tcp \
>            to port http # this \
>            is all one \
>            line.

i'm surprised we don;t actually document that. i guess it's something
that you instinctively understand, especially since the whole page uses
this notation.

if you want to document it, i'd prefer to try and tuck it in nice and
neat, without an example. how about rearranging the section to something
like this:

        Comments can be put anywhere in the file using a hash mark
        (`#'), and extend to the end of the current line.  The
        current line itself can be extended using a backslash (`\').

        Additional configuration files can be included with the
        include keyword, for example:

                include "/etc/pf/sub.filter.conf"

that would be just a one line addition.

i'd prefer to try and keep this little blurb short, as i think we
should expect readers to understand the idea of `#' as comments,
and `\' as extending the current line.

also note that this specific bit of text tends to get pasted into
a lot of pages, so we want to keep it simple (and a diff to this
page may not be enough - we might need to update all the stuff that
uses the same parser).

jmc