Can PowerPC do unaligned accesses or not?

I'm bringing this up *again*, because the fragmentary dialog on ICB
about how powerpc is supposed to behave doesn't agree with observable
reality.

| <miod> some models can afford unaligned access with a msr setting,
| but we frown upon this and won't enable this anyway
| <miod> so: no.
| <deraadt> we should keep running powerpc strict align.

The reality is that we *do* support unaligned accesses, at least
on the machines people test on.  sthen@ noticed when testing the
proposed port for snappy (Google's fast compression library) that
unaligned accesses work fine and is reluctant to disable them in
the port.

I just noticed that archivers/xz also uses unaligned accesses on
powerpc and nobody has complained to me that it breaks.

I don't have a problem with disabling unaligned accesses in ports
on powerpc, but without errors we are unlikely to find all of them
and what's the justification then?

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de