On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 08:58:16PM +0200, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
| Hi Alexandre,
|
| Alexandre Ratchov wrote on Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 08:29:26PM +0200:
|
| > On the one hand, we expect audio to work by default. On the other hand
| > format conversions, channel mapping, resampling and alike belong to
| > the audio sub-system; until 2009, this used to be the audio(4) driver
| > itself. But later, instead of extending the audio(4) driver, we put
| > new audio code in aucat(1), which amongs others, has the advantage of
| > running as unprivileged user rather than in supervisor mode. From this
| > standpoint, there should be an instance of aucat(1) running by default
| > for each instance of audio(4), ie for each sound card; [...]
|
| Really?
|
| Here is the list of daemons currently enabled by default:
|
|   syslogd pflogd sshd sendmail inetd cron
|
| These are useful on almost any system, no matter whether
| server or desktop.

Why is syslogd useful on my laptop if I never look at those logs ?  Or
pflogd ?  Even sshd, I ssh *from* my laptop, not to it.  Same goes for
inetd, what's the use on my laptop ?  Or cron ?  At the time default
jobs are scheduled to run, my laptop is suspended.  Granted, that may
not be the most common use case (and also granted: I do sometimes use
some of these on my laptop).  But I like the idea of a working default
setup that also includes working audio.

It would be nice if aucat didn't start when there was no sound
hardware.  And it doesn't:

        [weerd@despair] $ sudo aucat -l -fsun:0
        aucat: sun:0: can't open device
        sun:0: failed to open audio device

So your server in the datacenter won't be running aucat afterall.

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/