Le 12/02/11 06:35, Philip Guenther a icrit :
On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 6:45 PM, Christiano F. Haesbaert
<haesba...@openbsd.org>  wrote:
Hi, I think we should warn() on any error, not just EPERM.
This is more consistent with the rest of the code.

ok ?

I disagree with this.  The existing message is much clearer to the
non-root mortal user that gets it and, IMO, it's clearer for the
message to be sent to stdout with the rest of the output from the
scan.

The original output is an error message sent to stdout.

I think the current output is stupid : if I ask about scanning on WIF and permission is denied, I certainly don't want the mac adress and media info to be printed.

As for errors other than EPERM, well, exactly what other errors *can*
that call return in ifconfig?

What problem are you guys trying to solve?

Scripting.

It's quite usual to have a one liner with interface name and error message, and not bury it inside a bunch of informations about the interface. Now if the rest is sent to stdout it's easy to send it to /dev/null and just get the error message.

--
Thomas de Grivel