By default sndiod (aka aucat) uses 2940 frame blocks at 44.1kHz, iirc
to please uaudio, but this is not required anymore. On the other hand,
programs that use audio block rate for synchronization (ex. mplayer)
need smaller blocks (ex. to get smooth video).

If you're using sndiod (or aucat, if you aren't followig current),
could you try one of the following commands:

        sndiod -r 48000 -b 960 -z 480
        sndiod -r 48000 -b 1920 -z 480
        sndiod -r 48000 -b 1920 -z 960
        sndiod -r 48000 -b 3480 -z 960
        sndiod -r 48000 -b 7680 -z 1920

Start with the first command (the most precise) and do your usual
stuff. If it works reliably (ie doesn't cause too much additional
stuttering), drop me a mail with the dmesg and audio programs you
used. If it's not reliable try the second line, if it's still not
working either try the next one and so on.

I'm interested mostly in regressions (ie significant stuttering) this
change may cause in a typical usage pattern.

Note that this may trigger hidden bugs in ports (also causing
stuttering), this can be verified by quickly running:

        audioctl play.errors; sleep 5; audioctl play.errors

during the stuttering, if the counter stays constant, then the program
might be missusing sndio and should fixed.

Thanks,

-- Alexandre